Top 10 Breakup songs for a 21st century girl!
After the initial “I will never leave my room and
eat another piece of food ever again” phase has passed, and trust me it will!
You may find yourself finding other ways to get over your break up. For me it
was researching ways in which I could make myself feel better about the end of
my relationship. I read a number of self help articles, they didn't help, so I
decided on a different approach and typed the obvious into the search engine.
Scrolling through all of the lists I found myself more confused than inspired.
Out of all of the songs listed I probably knew about 20% of them and that was only
because I had been forced to listen to them by my parents! So I've compiled a list of breakup songs for the girls
born in the 90’s, because face it, breakups never go out of style.
*WARNING! All songs listed are made to empower the
listener, if you’re still in the wallowing in self pity stage then grab yourself a copy of Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black”
album, you will not regret it!
1. Best thing I never had – Beyonce
Why: this song is for all of the ladies that were in
the beginning too madly in love to see how crappy the man they were with really
was. It’s a song of pure girl power. It’s for all of the women out there that
had the strength to leave the jerk that was treating them like crap. “You showed your ass and baby yes I saw the
real you”. Umm Hell Yeah Beyonce!
2. Tears Dry on Their Own – Amy Winehouse
Why: Although this song is still slightly leaning
towards the self wallowing phase the message of the song is great for all of
those women who were brutally dumped by an asshole. It’s practical and
realistic, and my best friend swears she got over her 18 month relationship
listening to this song alone. The proof is in the depressing song ladies.
3. Bounce – Calvin Harris ft. Kellis
Why: It’s a party song, and who doesn't love a
drunken party when we’re mourning a relationship? Nobody that’s who! This is a
song to sing when you’re seeing the upside to the end of your relationship,
even if you do end up crying in the bathroom at the end of the night.
4. Numb – Rihanna
Why: This song hasn’t even been released on the charts
yet so I won’t expect many people to know this one but come on, its Rihanna!
Despite her minor relapse earlier this year, she ended it with Chris Brown after
he was a major jerk to her.(I could say ALOT more but I don’t want to offend
the Chris Brown fans out there) And now look at her, she is the most badass
chick ever. If you can manage to make bitterness look sexy then why the hell
not try it!
5. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
Why: Yes Ok I know I said this list was for girls of
the 21st century, but seriously who doesn't know this song. Singstar
anybody?
6. All My Pride – J.Lo
Why: what is this song saying to all men that
treated us like crap when we wanted them and came running back confessing their
love when we wised up and left? TOO BAD! SO SAD! This song is also my situation in a nut shell and is defiantly on my most played list right now...I'm not embarrassed.
7. Cry Me a
River – Justin Timberlake
Why: Basically the exact same message as above
except it’s got a 90’s boy band feel and Timberland makes a sneaky appearance
towards the end, Ohh Right!
8. Smile – Lilly Allen
Why: don’t let the sweet voice of Lily Allen
disguise the badass content of this song. It speaks of a man who cheats, a girl
who struggles to cope with it and the amazing turn around that can come with a
little girl time. Have you ever heard of the saying “If you’re happy I’m
happy”? Well this song has nothing to do
with that and in fact reflects a realistic outlook on a break up. You break our
heart, man or women we WANT you to suffer in the burning pits of hell...it’s a way of life!
9. Riding Solo – Jason Derulo
Why: Part of me is extremely embarrassed about
listing this song in my top 10 break up songs and up until 2 days ago it would
never have made it on the list...BUT I found myself listening to this on my
iPod (Nano 4th Gen 08 release, Oh yeah I’m up to date with technology)
and I was loving life for the whole 4 minutes and 1 second of this song, I mean
who doesn't wear sunglasses in the club?
10. Me Myself and I – Beyonce
Why: Because it’s like the ultimate break up song
for girls of the 21st century! Why else!
I hope these songs will be enough to get you through
these shitty times, and let me know how you go!
Yours truly Miss
Mad.
No comments:
Post a Comment